How does the production process look like?
Heliatek manufactures its products using thermal evaporation in a vacuum, a processing method that is very common in the OLED industry. Nevertheless, Heliatek is the first company worldwide to establish this method into a solar technology roll-to-roll production line.
The key advantages:
- Organic deposition based on simple sublimation: No use of carrier gas, transport reaction or other secondary processes
- Stable process control in separate evaporation chambers: The proven process achieves reproducibility and homogeneity independent from the deposition rate
- Robust stack design: The product has a little variation of efficiency
- High-yield continuous process: A high material utilization is given by the design of the roll-to-roll machine.
The process consists of different sub production processes:
- The evaporation of the organic stack onto the pre-structured plastic film
- The encapsulation of the organic stack with the barrier
- The back-end finishing including adding the connectors and backside adhesive